1/08/2009

Hanten - Adam's Japanese gown


As all my family or friends know about, my husband's favorite winter gown is this Japanese Hanten.  My very good friend, Todd, who is a return missionary from Osaka, Japan and baptized me and my dad in 1984, he sent me a cool email about this Japanese traditional gown, Hanten.

So I'm not sure you'll agree my alternative is any better, but I think it is. For centuries people in Japan have been wearing something called a "hanten" (pronounced HAWN-ten). There are many kinds of hanten, but the one I'm describing is sometimes called a "wataire" hanten because it's quilted with polyester fiberfill, just like a bed quilt.

The functional perfection of a hanten is that the sleeves are short (so you can wear it while you work, eat, do the dishes, whatever) and it’s really quick and easy to pull on. It ties somewhat open in front, so it’s not as binding as a zip-up vest, and you can slip if off while you sit if you get too warm, then slip it back on. There’s a reason the hanten design survived 2,000 years of culture change in Japan.

Hanten are hard to find in the US. You can order them online but it might be too late in the season. (Sort of like how it's hard to buy a swimsuit in July because all the stores are displaying fall fashions by then.) If you'd rather die than wear a Snuggie, check out these online shops. Because I'll never give up MY hanten.

http://hanten-usa.com/HANTENFORMENWOMEN.htm
http://www.goodsfromjapan.com/product/product-details.php?pID=0&cID=162&pdID=388
http://www.samue-e.com/en/goods1264.php
http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/casualwear6.htm

Special bonus points if you noticed in the futon photo that the pillows are "sobakawa" stuffed with buckwheat hulls. Remember when they were a fad in the US? They still have a loyal following--me included. Not because they're Japanese but because it's the single most comfortable pillow you'll ever try. Definitely an acquired taste, but once you've slept on buckwheat hulls, you'll 
never go back to down or fiberfill or memory foam. And you'll realize you never slept well until you got that pillow.

I also used to had my own Hanten in Japan, I was just thinking if I could try to make one at home(They are kind a expensive. Depends on the quality).  Many missionaries who served Japan love these Japanese stuff and bring them back to USA.  I guess nowadays, you can buy many things here on the internet, it is pretty cool to me.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete